Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Artist Spotlight Series: Katherine Sullivan



 Arlington Artists Alliance Member and Gallery Underground member Katherine Sullivan discusses her artwork, technique and inspiration:

Katherine Sullivan, Crab Jumble, Watercolor,
framed dimensions 25.5 W x 41 H, $1,200
Nature inspires most of my paintings, and I tend to paint what I like.  As an opportunist I am open to any interesting subject, ranging from freshly caught crabs to the visual beauty of the farmers market.  Since I am not particularly fast, I usually paint from photographs. The photographs are combined, staged or altered.  I am more interested in the close up view of the subject rather than the distant.  Many of my paintings have layered groupings of the same or similar objects, exploring the relationship between them and shadows.  My technique is mostly traditional.  I like all colors, but some of my friends think purple can usually be found in my paintings.


Katherine Sullivan, Annual Rewards, Watercolor,
framed dimensions 11.5 W x 11.5 H, $325
The desire to create and the interest in learning something new has always been present.  The subjects and methods have changed with time.  I did not take any formal art classes until college where I took a lot of painting and printing classes.  After graduating from George Washington University, I went back to school again to take additional classes in ceramics, sculpture and crafts in order to be certified to teach.  I put aside my painting for about twenty-five years, until I decided I wanted to paint again.  It was at that point I tried watercolors.  What a great fit.  I should have tried them sooner.  The hardest part is sometimes just the beginning.  It is always satisfying to create something.  No matter what the results, it is my interpretation of what I see.



Katherine Sullivan Swiss Chard, Watercolor,
framed dimensions 18.5 W x 18 H, $350
 
To learn more about Katherine visit her profile at Gallery Underground:
https://galleryunderground.org/project/katherine-sullivan/




No comments:

Post a Comment