Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sandi Parker - Trancedent Persistence

TranscendenceI by Sandi Douglas Parker
This month I have a painting at Gallery Underground entitled "Transcendence II" .  Transcendence II began life as Transcendence I.  I was never happy with Trancsendence 1 - I always thought there was too much going on and the colors were too loud. That painting was one of the very early abstracts I did after taking a class from fellow Gallery member Bud Hensgen - I had gotten a feel for abstract, but had not yet found my "voice." I have recently been working on a series of abstract acrylics featuring circles. I thought that all that craziness in Transcendence 1 would work as a great base, so I flipped it on its side and re-worked it using primarily blues. Gone are the reds and turquoises and bright yellows, along with the squares.  What I ended up with is much more in line with the series of circles paintings I have been working on, and also more in line with my current color palette for my abstracts, which I now tend to do with only 2 or 3 colors. When I am long gone and my legacy lives on, I have no doubt that the conservators at the National Gallery will use imaging techniques and reveal that - just like the impressionists - I have painted over a painting that wasn't working!


Sandi Parker
Transcendence II by Sandi Douglas Parker


No comments:

Post a Comment