Thursday, November 7, 2013

Q & A with Catherine Powers - Solo Artist, November


In honor of Catherine Powers' solo exhibit US 17:  The Scenic Highway, we asked her a few questions.  Read on, learn more about her and her a collection of photographs taken along U.S. 17, the 1,100 mile byway spanning the southeastern United States from Winchester, VA to Punta Gorda, FL.  Join us for refreshments and to meet our featured artist this Friday from 5-8pm.


Q- When did you first call yourself an artist?
Q- What are people most surprised to find out about your work?
    Q- Do you have a favorite time of day to shoot?
    Q- How does your portrait and sporting event work inform your fine art photography?
Q- Do you have a favorite piece in the upcoming show? 
    Q- Is there anything you would like us to know?

Catherine answered:
I started calling myself an artist about three years ago.  I have always loved photography ever since I bought my first camera at age 10.  But three years ago, I realized that I had achieved a level of confidence in my skills as a photographer to create art.  A couple of years before this, I met with a group of fellow photographers that I meet with regularly.  We asked each other what our goals were as photographers.  One wanted to be a wedding photographer, one wanted to make money, another wanted to teach workshops.  I realized then that I really wanted to be a fine art photographer and hopefully one day exhibit my work in art galleries.  So I began earnestly trying to achieve this goal.
For this particular exhibit, US 17: The Scenic Highway, people seem to be most surprised that they recognize the locations or that they have traveled along this highway at sometime in their life.  I had an exhibit of this project in January and so many people at the opening reception shared with me their fond memories of places along US 17. 
My favorite time of the day to shoot is around sunrise and sunset. Although when I traveled working on the US 17 project I could not always shoot at sunrise or sunset, so I tried to shoot with the light and elements presented me at the time. 
My portrait work is not traditional studio portraiture.  I usually take what is called “environmental portraits”, which are photographs of people in their environment.  I enjoy meeting and talking to people, learning something about them, learn stories about their lives, or their towns.  I try to capture their personalities in the photograph.  My greatest pleasure is making a connection with the person and the place that I visit.  My sport photographs began with taking pictures of my kids’ sporting events.  It has been challenging, working in low light conditions during evening or indoor events, or working far from the subject.  But I enjoy learning how to overcome these challenges.  I try to view the sporting event from the perspective of what would make an interesting a photograph (not just a snapshot of my children).
One of my favorite pieces in the show is a black and white photograph called “Shrimp Boat”.  It was taken in Calabash, NC.  So much of US 17 runs along the coast, through small fishing communities.  To me, this photograph exemplifies a typical southern fishing community.

No comments:

Post a Comment