Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Jackie Afram - Newport Seascape Series

Newport Seascape Series

Jackie Afram explains to us the challenges of her series of seascapes.

The challenge of this series was to display the differences and similarities of types of oil paints, their media and tools. I created these three paintings of a Newport Rhode Island seascape to  show the different types of oil media and tools that I have been experimenting with in my paintings. 

For seascape #2, I used oil paint, a large bristle brush and Liquin as the medium. I worked to achieve subtle glazed shadings with minimum detail. 
Newport Seascape #2 by Jackie Afram


For seascape #3, I used oil paint, a palette knife and wax as a medium. A different subtlety of shading is achieved with this method. The wax allows the artist to use less oil paint and gives the painting a softer overall appearance. 

Newport Seascape #3 by Jackie Afram


For seascape #4, I used oil bars and gloved hands to mix the colors and push and pull the color across the canvas. Close control and detail are difficult with this media, but it is a great deal of fun. I do not have a favorite medium and use whatever strikes me will work best for what I am painting.

Newport Seascape #4 by Jackie Afram

No comments:

Post a Comment