Saturday, March 15, 2014

Linda Maldonaldo - Limbo plus Focus equals Completion

Linda Maldonado's work is co-featured in this month's Gallery Underground Special "Illuminations" show.  When I asked she if perseverance was a factor she replied that tenacity was always important in your work.  Linda explains -  

Aquascape by Linda Maldonado
"Two of the paintings I brought in for our "Illuminations" show at the Gallery this month are pieces that started out confused and stayed in a limbo phase for some time. I pulled each one out and set out to bring them to successful completion, one way or another. Sometimes the easiest way for me to do that is to pick a composition scheme -- e.g., cruciform for "Aquascape" -- and a limited palette of colors (blues and greens, with black and white accents), and keep working back and forth between collage and acrylic paint. Keeping a clear mental focus helped me enormously to get to the finish line.
All the Earth is Holy Ground by Linda Maldonado

With the second painting, "All the Earth is Holy Ground," the piece started as a warm underpainting with floral intentions. I changed my mind when I found the quote by Christina Rosetti: "Tread softly. All the earth is holy ground" -- and I decided to bring in some blues and use a horizontal orientation with vertical panels. Again, i introduced collage papers and coordinating stamps to create texture and interest, layered with translucent paint to enrich some areas. After several days of thinking and painting, I was pleased with the blend of warm golds and coppers with cool turquoise and dark blues.

For the past few years, I have designed most of my paintings to read well from a distance, and also to reward the viewer who comes closer with details not visible from a distance. I hope I have achieved that with both of these.

Thanks for the opportunity to think out loud about my art."




No comments:

Post a Comment