Saturday, October 5, 2013

Changing weather produces changes in art - featured artist Elisabeth Hudgins

"Fall Six" by Elisabeth Hudgins

Each fall, my art making does change! I go back to my "first love" medium....watercolor. My schedule does not change much, but what I am inspired by does....
When fall sets in and the nights are cooler, the leaves start changing color and they become my inspiration. As they fall to the ground, I really start looking at them closely. I gather them up and set about making my "Leaf Impressions", actually making watercolor monoprints on paper with the leaves. . My Leaf Impression Paintings are all about the leaves...In this process, I am actually applying paint on the leaf, and laying the leaf on the paper. Sometimes, I will use a watercolor technique and work "wet into wet", and other times I will use a collage technique. The hardest part is for waiting for the painting to dry, so I can pull up the leaves off the paper and see what happened! But I love that elemnt of surprise. Then I will go back and overpaint, enhancing what I want to emphasize in the painting. To see a slide show of my process, please visit: http://www.elisabethhudgins.com/artlifeblog.html 
Several of my Leaf Impression paintings are in the Gallery Underground during the month of October... One, "Sycamore" features the largest sycamore leaf I have ever seen... a good 12"
"Sycamore" by Elisabeth Hudgins

No comments:

Post a Comment